The current fire station was constructed in 1927. In addition to the fire department the building originally housed a post office. The current Post Office opened in 1965 and the east bay of the apparatus floor was eventually created to house apparatus for the growing department. Over the years the station underwent several renovations including refurbishment of the second floor classroom/meeting space and kitchen, a new radio room & office, a new roof, and renovation of the back bay. The apparatus floor remained cramped with little room to work or don turnout gear.
click image to advance slideshow
As fire apparatus continued to get larger, so did the station. In 2006 a new Highway Department Facility was built on Mill St. The former Highway garage attached to the rear of the fire station was converted for Fire Department use. The ambulance and EMS quarters was moved out of the dilapidated shed behind Town Hall and moved into the east bay of the fire station (single bay at right).
In addition to the apparatus floor the new facility offered much needed space for a maintenance shop, equipment storage, an additional bathroom, and turnout gear racks. Personnel no longer need to don their protective gear within inches of moving fire apparatus. There is space to walk between the trucks, open compartments, check equipment, and perform routine maintenance without having to shuffle vehicles around.